School Closing & Inclement Weather Guidelines
District 2 takes the responsibility of deciding whether to close schools seriously, and--generally speaking--schools will remain open except for instances of extremely inclement weather.
It is important to note, though, that you--the parent or guardian--ultimately make the decision whether to send your child to school when weather conditions are extremely poor. If you do decide to keep your child home on a day in which the weather is extremely inclement but schools are not closed, your child will be marked absent, and your child will be given every opportunity to make up missed work.
As a parent or guardian, you are also responsible for making alternative arrangements for your child’s care in the event that schools are closed due to inclement weather. For this reason, you should be prepared to answer the following question:
If school should be closed tomorrow for inclement weather or an emergency, who would care for and supervise my child?
School Closing Information
The District’s mass notification system will contact all student households when a school must be closed for emergency reasons. School closings will also be posted on the District’s website, www.bsd2.org and the Emergency Closing Center website www.EmergencyClosings.com. In cases of extreme weather or emergency situations, parents/guardians should receive a phone call, email, and/or text message no later than 6 a.m. if their contact information with the school is up to date. Please make certain your proper contact information is on file at your school to ensure you are notified through this system.
Emergency Late Start
In the event of an overnight snowstorm, a late start schedule may be used if weather conditions are expected to improve or clear up by late morning. If late start is activated:
- Parents will receive a call at home by 6 a.m. notifying them of the late start.
- School will begin exactly two hours later than usual: 9:45 a.m. for middle school and 10:35 a.m. for elementary school. No breakfast will be served.
- All buses will operate exactly two hours behind their usual schedule; parent drop-off would be 9:35 a.m. for middle school; 10:25 a.m. for elementary.
- Morning preschool will be cancelled; afternoon preschool classes will begin and end at the usual time.
- All before-school programs, including but not limited to orchestra, band, choir, clubs, athletic practices, or student activities, will be cancelled.
- The school day will end at the usual time.
If a late start is implemented rather than a full emergency day, there is no need to make up the day of attendance at the end of the school year.