- Bensenville School District 2
- Front Page Features
The Bensenville School District 2 Board of Education pressented the Founders' Award to Dr. Jim Stelter, Superintendent of Schools, and Dr. Kay Dugan, Assistant Superintendent for Learning, in recognition of their far-reaching impact on the District.
District 2’s Founders’ Award is only presented “for enduring contributions of exceptional quality and for sustained commitment to the educational well-being of the children in Bensenville School District 2 schools.”
It is not awarded every year, but this year was given to Dr. Stelter and Dr. Dugan at the BSD2 Board’s June 16.
Dr. Stelter has been with the District for nearly 20 years, and served as Superintendent for the past 11. Dr. Dugan joined the Ditrict in her current role in 2010.
Dr. Stelter and Dr. Dugan are both retiring at the end of the month.
The following are some of the key accomplishments of their collective service to the BSD2 community:
- Building an amazing staff of teachers, support staff and administrators that create a world of opportunities for students and families.
- Completing almost $80 million of new school construction and renovations with no tax increase.
- Achieving "Commendable” ratings for all BSD2 schools from the State Board of Education, which reflects the hard work of our students, families, teachers and support staff.
- Balancing the budget for 17 consecutive years.
- Obtaining almost $10 million of grants from the U.S. Department of Education to fund after-school programming, family advocacy, mental health, early childhood, and home visiting through the 2023-2024 school year.
- Receiving numerous state-wide awards in ISBE’s “Those Who Excel” program, the most recent being an Award of Excellence for the District’s home visit program.
- Earning a National Blue Ribbon Award for Mohawk School.
- Receiving the Gold Circle of Quality, the highest rating possible from the Illinois State Board of Education, for the District’s Preschool for All program at Tioga School.
- Partnering with Metropolitan Family Services to bring the Head Start program to Tioga School in support of our youngest learners in the school district.
- Emphasizing the importance of kids building 21st century learning skills and outcomes in the areas of critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and communication.
- Developing a Portrait of a Graduate, a collective vision of student success for the community in partnership with Fenton High School and Wood Dale School District 7.
- Establishment of a credible grant management and reporting process rated by ISBE auditors as “impressive”
- Creation of state recognized High Impact Curriculum Guide, Title II Professional Development Plan, Peer Assistance and Review Program, and PERA Teacher Evaluation Plan
- Development of a English Language Learner Handbook and dual language program.
- Rated as the highest performing Race-to-the-Top district in Illinois in all 22 indicators, including design of innovative curriculum and PERA Teacher Evaluation Plan
- Presentations at the Triple III state conference for seven consecutive years, Illinois Association of School Administrators, Illinois Association of School Boards, Illinois Association of School Personnel Administrators, Illinois Reading Conference, Illinois Principal Association, Performance Evaluation Advisory Council, North DuPage Leadership Council, and Advance Illinois Data Reporting Group
- Served as model district for high impact pedagogical methodologies such as differentiation, close reading, writing process, demonstration classrooms, and Instructional Rounds